[OSLC] OSLC AM General Meeting minutes

James Conallen jconallen at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 4 11:41:46 EST 2010

The minutes for today's OSLC Architecture Management meeting have been
posted:  http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/ArchMgmtMeetings4Feb2010

Atendees: Brenda Ellis, Jim Amsden, Thomas Piccoli, Jim Conallen

The team continued reviewing the detailed scenarios, beginning with the
Create an AM resource. Jim A. asked who defines the content types? Jim C.
responded that each service provider must declare what it accepts, and
clients should only submit resource that the service can understand,
otherwise the service will reject.

Jim C. asked if the response type (oslc am resource format) was
appropriate, and there was general agreement that it was.

Jim A. asked if it was possible to submit a resource in the OSLC AM format.
Jim C. said that the spec certainly allows it, assuming the service
provider is willing to accept it. Jim A. also suggested that we update the
examples to show this specific example. Jim C. suggested we inlude an
opaque example like submitting Power Point decks.

Tom asked how clients would know the difference between a rejection based
on unsupported content type versus, insufficient privledges. Jim C. said
that in both cases a 403 response is returned, but the message would
indicate the reason.

Jim A. raised some concerns regarding the use of ETags to manage concurrent
modification. Unless the resources are very granular, there will be some
difficulties in an environment with lots of modifications. Jim A. described
how WebDAV.? addresses this, and warned of the reliance on just ETags.

Jim C. mentioned that we need a page that details exactly what elements
should be expected in ATOM collections.

Jim C. asked if we should allow wildcards in queries in the place of link
types, when looking for resources with relationships to external resources.
The team agreed that this would be a good thing to allow.

Jim A. suggested that for the link types collection we use RDFS instead of
inventing a new content type (and in general for all meta data). Jim and
Jim agreed to take that conversation off line and report back to the team.

<jim/>

jim conallen
jconallen at us.ibm.com
Rational Software, IBM Software Group