[OSLC] Generating language bindings for the OSLC interfaces

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Wed Feb 3 09:35:56 EST 2010

Andy,

For approach b) yu need to describe the REST API in a machine processible
format. There are two formats I know of - WADL and WSDL 2.0.

There is a community around WADL, largely at java.net.

 I worked on the WSDL 2.0 spec at W3C and advocated for features that
allowed it to describe REST APIs, not just SOAP. The Apache Axis 2.0
project supports WSDL 2.0 and can generate Java bindings. However, I don't
know if anyone is using it for REST. I worked with Lawrence Mandel on the
Apache Woden project which created a WSDL 2.0 reference implementation
which was picked up by Apache Axis 2.0. Lawrence wrote up an article
describing how to describe REST services using WSDL 2.0. [1] There are
also examples at the W3C WSDL 2.0 site.

If someone wanted to explore this approach it could be done independantly
of OSLC, i.e. someone could write the WADL or WSDL 2.0 description and try
to generate code.

[1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-restwsdl/

Arthur Ryman, IBM DE
Chief Architect, Rational Project and Portfolio Management
Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Assistant: Nancy Barnes, 905-413-4182