[OSLC] Request for Comment on Common Query Syntax V1

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Sat Nov 14 08:21:18 EST 2009

Steve,

Thx for the feedback.

For NULL, we need to define the semantics since we are thinking in terms
of RDF. Does NULL mean the property doesn't exist? (in the case of
optional properties).

Arthur Ryman, IBM DE
Chief Architect, Rational Project and Portfolio Management
Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Assistant: Nancy Barnes, 905-413-4182

Steve K Speicher <sspeiche at us.ibm.com>
Sent by: community-bounces at open-services.net
11/13/2009 11:57 PM

community at open-services.net
cc

Subject
Re: [OSLC] Request for Comment on Common Query Syntax V1

Arthur Ryman <ryman at ca.ibm.com> wrote on 11/06/2009 10:20:19 AM:

> 2. Nested properties. The CM version allowed nested properties via
> {}. This is very useful, both for query and inlining of results. I
> suggest we add this to the spec.
+1

> 3. The query parameter names. The CM spec used oslc_cm:query and
> oslc_cm:properties for what are essentially the WHERE and SELECT
> clauses of a query, i.e. oslc_cm:query is like the WHERE clause and
> oslc_cm:properties is like the SELECT clause. Since query is an
> overloaded term, I suggest we use oslc:select and oslc:where for
> these parameters, or oslc_select and oslc_where if you don't like
colons.

I like the naming oslc:filter and oslc:properties.  That way a consistent
convention can be used to request the amount of properties whether it is
either a single resource request or when requesting a collection of
resources will inlined properties.

So for a single resource:
   GET /bug/1?oslc:properties=dc:title,dc:description
or collection/filter result:
   GET
/bugs?oslc:filter=state="new"&oslc:properties=dc:title,dc:description

Additionally,
I've received some requests to add the concept of "null" as a value.
Something such as oslc:NULL.  Then you can do statements such as
owner=oslc:NULL