[OSLC] Request for Comment on Common Query Syntax V1

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 13 13:27:50 EST 2009

Arthur Ryman <ryman at ca.ibm.com> wrote on 11/06/2009 10:20:19 AM:

> 2. Nested properties. The CM version allowed nested properties via
> {}. This is very useful, both for query and inlining of results. I
> suggest we add this to the spec.
+1

> 3. The query parameter names. The CM spec used oslc_cm:query and
> oslc_cm:properties for what are essentially the WHERE and SELECT
> clauses of a query, i.e. oslc_cm:query is like the WHERE clause and
> oslc_cm:properties is like the SELECT clause. Since query is an
> overloaded term, I suggest we use oslc:select and oslc:where for
> these parameters, or oslc_select and oslc_where if you don't like
colons.

I like the naming oslc:filter and oslc:properties.  That way a consistent
convention can be used to request the amount of properties whether it is
either a single resource request or when requesting a collection of
resources will inlined properties.

So for a single resource:
   GET /bug/1?oslc:properties=dc:title,dc:description
or collection/filter result:
   GET
/bugs?oslc:filter=state="new"&oslc:properties=dc:title,dc:description

Additionally,
I've received some requests to add the concept of "null" as a value.
Something such as oslc:NULL.  Then you can do statements such as
owner=oslc:NULL