[Community] OSLC RM - meetings during July

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Thu Jul 9 14:34:49 EDT 2009

Andy and Simon make good points, and I think that discovery of related
assets is certainly important.  as Scott points out, the CM team are
looking at this too, and from a "i know nothing other than the URI of the
CR".   the friendliness of the URIs Simon drew is beguiling, giving the
impression that the path to the resource can be trusted to mean something.
 Stability of URIs is also important and the two concerns are not always
compatible.

As well as thinking about all the relationships a requirement might have
with its contexts, we ought to think about other relationships -
satisfaction, validatedBy and so on.

What happens in response to a GET on a requirement URI: should all of
these relationships be represented?  That won't scale but perhaps it
doesn't need to?

 An alternative is to separate the requirement representation from the
resources to which it is related, as the CM specification does.  (See
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmRestApiV1?sortcol=table;up=#Managing_multi_valued_properties
.)   So the requirement could indicate the presence of a group of links
(collected by type?).

In the CM approach links are not first-class in the resource model - i
can't GET a link, nor can I DELETE one: they are not resources.

best wishes,
    -ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational