[Community] OSLC RM - meetings during July

Scott Bosworth bosworth at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 9 10:09:21 EDT 2009

Great points Simon, I agree completely. Not to jump to spec too quickly,
but it may be helpful to look at the OSLC-CM 1.0 spec (
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmSpecificationV1) and its
approaches for establishing project context (service discovery),
collections of change-requests, and simple query services. We may be able
to learn something on how we might think about requirements collections
from this vantage point.

To Andy's point, rather than saying that a requirement should have a "back
pointer" to the project, we might instead say that given the url of a
requirement, we may have a need to discover the project context (or maybe
other requirements collection contexts?). I think this is probably a common
scenario - someone receives the requirement url in an e-mail and that's all
they have. This is a topic that has come up in the CM 2.0 directions as
well (see http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmArchitecturalDirectionV2
 -- Reverse service discovery).

Thanks...Scott

p.s. Ian - I think the to-do Steve and I took was to think about how to
better organize the scenarios overall in the site given the cross-domain
nature many of them exhibit.

Scott Bosworth | IBM Rational CTO Team | bosworth at us.ibm.com | 919.486.2197
(w) | 919.244.3387(m) | 919.254.5271(f)

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Scott Bosworth/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |community at open-services.net                                                                                                                       |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |Andreas.Keis at eads.net, Dominic Tulley <dominic.tulley at uk.ibm.com>, Simon Wills <simon.wills at integrate.biz>, George DeCandio/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS,    |
  |david.ruiz at ravenflow.com, Pratik Shah/Durham/IBM at IBMUS, Sky Matthews/Durham/IBM at IBMUS, rainer.ersch at siemens.com, Brenda.Ellis at ngc.com, Steve      |
  |Abrams/Watson/IBM at IBMUS, randy.e.vogel at accenture.com, Andrew J Berner/Dallas/IBM at IBMUS, srinivasan.renganathan at citi.com, Chris Mcgraw             |
  |<chris.mcgraw at uk.ibm.com>, Ken Jackson <KEN.JACKSON at uk.ibm.com>                                                                                   |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |07/09/2009 09:46 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

Scott Bosworth | IBM Rational CTO Team | bosworth at us.ibm.com | 919.486.2197
(w) | 919.244.3387(m) | 919.254.5271(f)

Inactive hide details for "Simon Wills" ---07/09/2009 09:23:21 AM---To
elaborate on Andy’s comment (and noting that I missed t"Simon Wills"
---07/09/2009 09:23:21 AM---To elaborate on Andy’s comment (and noting that
I missed the last call where this was discussed) ...

 From: "Simon Wills" <simon.wills at integrate.biz>

 To:   Andrew J Berner/Dallas/IBM at IBMUS, "Ian Green1"
       <ian.green at uk.ibm.com>

 Cc:   <Andreas.Keis at eads.net>, <Brenda.Ellis at ngc.com>, "Chris Mcgraw"
       <chris.mcgraw at uk.ibm.com>, <david.ruiz at ravenflow.com>, "Dominic
       Tulley" <dominic.tulley at uk.ibm.com>, George
       DeCandio/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS, "Ken Jackson" <KEN.JACKSON at uk.ibm.com>,
       Pratik Shah/Durham/IBM at IBMUS, <rainer.ersch at siemens.com>,
       <randy.e.vogel at accenture.com>, Scott Bosworth/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS,
       Sky Matthews/Durham/IBM at IBMUS, <srinivasan.renganathan at citi.com>,
       Steve Abrams/Watson/IBM at IBMUS

 Date: 07/09/2009 09:23 AM

 Subje RE: OSLC RM - meetings during July
 ct:

To elaborate on Andy’s comment (and noting that I missed the last call
where this was discussed) ...

Requirements collections can mean many things. They may be related to
application/project structure (e.g. subsystem X); they may time related
(e.g. phase B); they may represent any arbitrary grouping of related
requirements based on some classification.

This has implications on cardinality. One collection may contain many
requirements. But one requirement may also be a member of many collections
(e.g. it may be re-used across projects; it may belong to collection of key
integrity requirements at the same time as being in the collection of
requirements that are to be implemented in phase B).

This isn’t an issue in terms of addressability, in that it’s perfectly
valid for one resource to be designated by multiple URIs. Hence a single
requirement resource might have a canonical URI
(e.g. /world/requirements/R1027), while also being addressable within the
context of one or more collections
(e.g. /world/projects/Project12/requirements/R32
and /world/applications/App14/requirements/R527). In both cases, it’s
desirable for a GET on a given URI to return related URIs (e.g. a GET on a
collection-based requirement URI returning not only a representation of the
requirement, but also listing the canonical URI of that requirement in its
related resources).

If I understand Andy correctly, he is suggesting an ‘either/or’ situation
(i.e. the collection points to the requirements, or the requirement points
to the collection). I would suggest that real world needs means that the
answer must be ‘both’. But then maybe I’ve missed Andy’s point ...

Simon

PS and don’t forget that collections may be simple buckets, or they may
organise their requirements into some hierarchical structure ...

Simon Wills
Managing Director
integrate systems engineering ltd
m: +44 (0)7967 091824