[OSLC] OSLC QM 1.0 specification

Arthur Ryman ryman at ca.ibm.com
Thu Dec 10 14:23:40 EST 2009

Paul,

FYI, in the Estimation spec we're adopting the design principle that the
underlying data model aligns with RDF, which therefore influences the way
you think of links. A simple link is a triple in which the object is a
resource. The predicate gives the type of the link. If you need more
information for the link then you are implicitly introducing another type
of resource, which could have either a URI or be a blank node.

Arthur Ryman, IBM DE
Chief Architect, Rational Project and Portfolio Management
Office: 905-413-3077, Cell: 416-939-5063
Assistant: Nancy Barnes, 905-413-4182

Paul McMahan <pmcmahan at us.ibm.com>
Sent by: community-bounces at open-services.net
12/10/2009 11:48 AM

community at open-services.net
cc
John Whitfield <jpwhit at us.ibm.com>, oslc-qm at open-services.net
Subject
Re: [OSLC] OSLC QM 1.0 specification

There has been some discussion across the OSLC domains about the need for
common linking spec.  Such a spec would likely have a major impact on the
area of the QM spec pointed out because resource links have proven to be
the most common occasion to use multi-valued properties in the C/ALM
scenarios we have considered so far.  The rdf example below demonstrates
this as well.

A common linking spec is not available at this time.  So the CM approach
was adopted for QM V1 with intentions to revisit for QM V2 when a linking
spec might be available.  But if the Estimation spec is already doing it
the right way then the QM workgroup needs to take a closer look at it.  I
see that the RM V1 spec (not yet finalized) has taken a similar approach
for linking, and the AM spec appears to be headed in that direction as
well.

Best wishes,
Paul McMahan
Rational Quality Management
pmcmahan at us.ibm.com

             Martin
             Nally/Raleigh/IBM

             12/09/2009 03:06          Paul McMahan/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS,
             PM                        Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM at IBMCA
                                                                        cc

                                       community at open-services.net,
                                       community-bounces at open-services.net

                                       , oslc-qm at open-services.net
                                                                   Subject

                                       Re: [OSLC] OSLC QM 1.0
                                       specification(Document link: Paul
                                       McMahan)

This design adopts the design for multi-valued properties documented in
the
CM spec. I don't think this is a good design and we shouldn't propagate
it.
The OSLC estimation workgroup is doing this the "right" way, as shown in
this example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
   xmlns:ems="http://open-services.net/software-metrics/">
   <ems:Project
      rdf:about="http://braintwistors.example.com/ems/v1.0/Project/4201">
      <dc:title>Tsunami 1.0</dc:title>
      <dc:description>
         The goal of ...
      </dc:description>
      <ems:hasEstimate
         rdf:resource="
http://braintwistors.example.com/ems/v1.0/Estmate/4203" />
      <ems:hasEstimate
         rdf:resource="
http://braintwistors.example.com/ems/v1.0/Estmate/4204" />
      <!-- other properties of this project resource have been omitted for
brevity -->
   </ems:Project>
</rdf:RDF>

In other words, a multi-valued property is just what it says - a property
with multiple values, as illustrated here by "ems:hasEstimate". You do not
introduce a separate collection resource with separate link resources -
that design is not in the spirit of REST, it's just an old-fashioned OO
programming API exposed via http.

Best regards, Martin

Martin Nally, IBM Fellow
CTO and VP, IBM Rational
tel: (949)544-4691

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

  |Paul McMahan/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS                                   |

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

  |community at open-services.net                                |

|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>

  |oslc-qm at open-services.net                              |

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

  |12/09/2009 12:05 PM                        |

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

  |[OSLC] OSLC QM 1.0 specification                                     |

|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>

  |community-bounces at open-services.net      |

The OSLC Quality Management V1 specification is available at :
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/QmSpecificationV1

I would like to thank the Quality Management workgroup members (BigLever,
IBM, Sogeti, and Tieto) for their participation in the workgroup and
contributions to the specification.  The broader OSLC community is invited
to view the specification and provide any feedback in the wiki or via the
oslc-qm at open-services.net mailing list.  The Quality Management V2
specification effort is expected to get underway soon so any feedback on
the V1 specification will be especially valuable.

pmcmahan at us.ibm.com