[OSLC] Reporting Domain

Benjamin Williams bwilliams at uk.ibm.com
Wed Aug 12 06:58:22 EDT 2009

Ref: http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/ReportingHome

One of the key requirements for a reporting consumer is what is being
referred to as inlining.
This was formerly named 'Self Contained XML'

inlining - linked data should be inlined in the response to reduce the
number of requests

I believe that this description should be modified to avoid ambiguity and
misunderstanding.

I think most people will understand that definition as meaning the data
from linked resources rather than its intended meaning of a full set of
self contained data being returned for the initial query (vs the common
OSLC model of atomic transactions)

I suggest modifying this definition as below:

inlining - all queried data should be returned inline in the response with
no need for further HTTP GET requests

Regards

/Ben

Benjamin Williams
Senior Product Manager - Rational Publishing Engine

Email: bwilliams at uk.ibm.com
Tel: +44 20 8818 4360
Cell: +44 7710 637 067
IBM Extension: 364360