[OSLC] XML namespace prefixes in OSLC specifications

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 3 14:47:53 EDT 2009

Paul McMahan wrote on 08/03/2009 01:59:09 PM:

> XML namespace URIs are clearly an important part of OSLC specification
> documents.   XML namespace prefixes might also be considered to be a
part
> of these specifications as well.  For example, the XML examples in the
1.0
> service provider specification use namespace prefixes such as "rdf",
"dc",
> "oslc_disc".  See
> http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcServiceProviderCatalogV1
>
> My feeling is that the OSLC specifications should prescribe XML
namespace
> URIs but use softer language ("SHOULD" or "RECOMMENDED" vs. "MUST") for
any
> namespace prefixes, if they are discussed at all.   Any thoughts or
> concerns?

I agree that XML namespace prefixes should not be mandatory.  The Service
Provider Catalog specification does not make these mandatory but defines
them for consistency in the specification document.

For example, it states:  "XML namespace abbreviations used in this
specification: "

Which does not make those prefixes mandatory.  For some other
specification work, we did pre-define some prefixes but this was mostly
for non-XML formats.  For example in JSON formats and HTTP query
parameters.